Apply to be a Homeowner
Habitat for Humanity Homeownership Program
Volunteers provide most of the labor, and individual and corporate donors provide money and materials to build Habitat houses. Partner families themselves invest hundreds of hours of labor – “sweat equity” – into building their homes and the homes of others. Their mortgage payments go into a revolving Fund for Humanity that is used to build more houses. Warren County Habitat for Humanity locates and trains a Sponsor/Advocate/Friend (SAF) for each Partner family. This individual or couple works with each Partner throughout the process of planning, building and settling into their new home. Habitat’s philosophy is to work WITH not FOR our Partners.
- Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses alongside our homeowner (partner) families.
- Habitat is not a give-away program. In addition to a down payment and monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor (sweat equity) into building their Habitat house and the homes of others.
- Habitat homes are sold to partner families at no profit and financed with zero interest loans.
- The homeowner’s monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat houses.
- Families in need of decent shelter apply to local Habitat affiliates.
- The affiliate’s family selection committee chooses homeowners based on their level of need, their willingness to become a partner and their ability to repay the loan.
- Every affiliate follows a non-discriminatory policy of family selection.
- Neither race nor religion is a factor in choosing the families who receive a Habitat Home.
- Community-level Habitat for Humanity offices that act in partnership with and on-behalf of Habitat for Humanity International. Each affiliate is an independently run, non-profit organization.
- Each affiliate coordinated all aspects of Habitat home building in its local area – fund-raising, building site selection, partner family selection and support, house construction, and mortgage servicing.